now browsing by tag
Well we & the great folks at the ABSF have finalized our agreement and it’s now official. We will be the Title Sponsor of the Family 5/10km & Nikkerbeiner events! This will increase from our past support of the Nikkerbeiner. Along with that we have agreed to Continue our support of additional Great Events with the ABSF in our continued support of the Birkie Trek! We hope to
SEE YOU OUT THERE!
Family Ski & Nikkerbeiner : http://www.birkie.com/ski/events/nikkerbeiner/
Birkie Trek: http://www.birkie.com/run/events/birkie-trail-run/
Another year has flown by and another Birkie Trail Run & Trek (BTRT) is in the books. This year we had over 75 people Out There representing the shop. 2- 6person Relays, 2 – 3person relays, 1 person in the marathon , over 20 in each of the 1/2 marathon, Trek & 6km. Loads of Fun by everyone. Also numerous podiums in age classes, top 10’s in Multiple events and the WINNER of the Trek~ Bill Miller. Thanks to everyone again who got Out There for the 2014 BTRT!
Kris & Bjorn
As we approach the Fall season and the start for many folks in the Nordic Community their journey to a Winter Event like the American Birkie, Swedish Vassaloppet, World Masters or a local 5km. For some this journey begins in Late April or Early May, but many it begins in October or when the snow starts to fall softly from the heavens. Also during this time many local ski clubs start to put ideas together for the upcoming season, reflect on the past season, look at budgets equipment etc. With those thing happening I have been hearing some crazy thoughts being said to folks you are TRULY Out There to Support Nordic. (Don’t support that group, they have different goals than ours, or I don’t like so and so) As a community we all need to sit back and look at a number of things to ensure that our sport in the USA gains traction, grows programming and develops long-term sustainability.
1. Support ALL Clubs (USSA, CXC, LNR, NESNA, NANA, FAST & Female, etc) and the things they are doing, like them or not are things that are trying to grow the sport in YOUR community.
2. Support trail Systems. Be it your local 3km loop, 20km trail with a lite section, or the Birkie Trail. All places that are being maintained for skiing require funding! So if you are skiing at a number of trail systems, sign up for even the individual membership. Put your name in the ring and go to an event the trail is having or spread the word to others. Unlike many of the European countries Nordic is not a Federally supported activity in our country (we can dream).
3. Introduce someone to the sport. There are 2 ways to do this. 1.Take someone who has never skied and get them Out There on the snow this season. Ski 1km with them on a flat section of trail and see the joy it brings. Do not take them to some World Cup course and say come on. GO somewhere that seems so easy it hurts and see what introducing someone to our sport in a positive way can do to bring a NEW dimension to the sport for you. 2. If that is to much donate to an organization such as NNF, CXC, etc. These organizations are ones that give funding to athletes as well as run “Learn to ski” programs “Skis to Schools” and such where your monies can get NEW skiers started.
I will leave you with these 3 simple things. We are not asking you to get on a trail board or give 20 hours to trail work or coaching. Start small! If the Sport of Nordic is something that you find important to you, we must learn to work together, agree to disagree and say “What we are doing, is that growing the sport in some fashion?” If we as a collective group of Trail Board Members, Parents, Kids, Shop Owners, Teachers, Manuf. Rep., etc. do this we will see OUR sport grow to NEW Heights!
We challenge you to look Out There and SEE The Forest for the Trees!
The People who think they are Crazy enough to change the World~ Are the ONES who Do!
With over 1 month to go our Birkie Trail Run & Trek Team fills! This being our 4th Year of Sponsorship we are excited to have such a Group of wonderful folks going to be Out There! 75 people will be at the events wearing their Out There Colors this year. Form 2 years ago with 30, last year with 50 and now 75. Nearly 8% of all the participants will be Out There. We have people in the Team Marathons (both 6 & 3 person teams), Individual Marathon, 1/2 Marathon, Nordic Walk (Trek), 6km and Youth events. There are many perks to being Out There for different events, in the future look to join us.
Want to join us for other events?
Get Out There Group on Facebook
Come and join us and the ABSF for a Nordic Walk & Trail Run at the Birkie Ridge Trailhead. We will leave at 1pm and head for an out and back. Going up to the Birkie Trail, going to a turn around point and returning. We will be on New & Existing sections of the Trail Run & Trek courses. We will follow up afterwards with a trip to the River’s Eatery. Want to Nordic Walk and do not have poles? Email us and we can have some there for you. email@example.com RSVP if you can. Hope to see YOU Out There!
FB Event at: https://www.facebook.com/events/1616953701863260/
Presented by the Birkie
Hosted by Out There
A big idea here at the American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation is to be part of and support your year-round healthy, outdoor lifestyle. Although we put on some great events, we know there’s more going on for you the rest of the year–like getting ready for those events or just getting out and enjoying the beautiful outdoors.
That’s why we incorporated a “Programming” page on our new Birkie website and a link to that on all of our “Ski,” “Run,” Bike,” “Live” web pages. To get moving and make that dream a reality, starting this summer, we decided to connect with a group that is already “Out There” doing all this already.
Out There Nordic Sports is headquartered in Rice Lake, WI, about an hour south of Hayward. It is owned and run by Bjorn and Kristin Hanson, who have been leading training and recreational groups through Out There for five years. In addition to leading groups on the Birkie Trail, they also hit up a lot of other area trails so they can welcome more people–beginners and seasoned athletes alike–to all the great active lifestyle resources that are all around us.
The Birkie is not just a destination. As a true lifestyle, it happens wherever you are. So, come and enjoy the Birkie Trails, but we’re also happy to bring the Birkie Lifestyle to you, wherever you live and train!
This is just the beginning. We hope you will be part of it!
Another one is in the books. The ’14 Birkie was one that will be discussed for awhile. From 15″+ of New Dry Snow that arrived just over a day before, to Wind, Cold and more. As folks discuss the race many are not overly pleased with their time, others their skis etc. We always need to reflect on Nordic Events much differently than cycling, running and many other events. Things to always consider:
1. Event organizers are always trying to deliver the BEST conditions. This can be made difficult by Mother nature not delivering small, frequent amounts of the proper moisture snow followed by a drop in temp. We did well this year as Europe has suffered poor to no snow and events like the Tartu Marathon in Estonia had to be cancelled.
2. Few sports have as many variables. From Training (A Big One), equipment, wax, grinds, temps, wind snow moisture……
3. Your personal energy level
4. If you have are competitive: How did you do in relation to others.
(But do you know what they did to prepare?)
Probably not, so don’t sweat it. Some days are your and others not.
5. Just remember~ You were Out There. First, middle or last there is a whole entire WORLD of people who will never take on a challenge like Nordic Skiing and you DID.
So look back at it as a great life experience that you can challenge yourself and others to again. With today you have 363 days to go so Get Out There!
Well Folks the Birkie is just over 1 week away! The weather is going to throw us a FAST ball with temps early next week in the upper 30’s! Keep any eye out for wax reports. If you are one of the folks that signed up for our Birkie Wax Service remember all skis must be to the shop no later than Noon on Tuesday!
We will have a Team at the Giant Ski on Friday. Start time is Noon on Main Street in Hayward. Be sure to be Out There and Cheer them on!
Nikkerbeiner & Family Ski will follow up at 2:15 so get out the woodies and tar them up. Join folks in vintage ski attire and vintage skis.
Today we have learned that Sarah Murphy – Team Out There sponsored athlete and World Cup Biathlete will be joining us for the 2014 American Birkie. She will be racing in the Elite Women’s Skate wave so make sure to Be Out There and Cheer her on!
If you are looking for great deals on clothing, race suits, skis & more be sure and stop in soon!
See you Out There!
Full! 2.10.14 ~ We do have room for International Skiers. If you are traveling to the USA for the 2014 Birkie and need race service please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
2014 Waxing service for the American Birkie
We pride ourselves in providing YOU the Best Service & Best Products for your event!
Full Race Service$89.99
LF Service $49.99
(Fluoro) Only $29.99
Kick Waxing $29.99
To Prepay for Waxing Service: http://outthereshop.com/shop/services-waxing/
What you receive for you money?
* Both services include full base prep of SWIX’S BP service system 99 & 77
*LF Service will then include layers for durability and finish of a LF Wax Of The Day
*Full Race service will include this along with the HF & Fluro’s spec’d for your wave & weather/snow conditions
* Top coat only will be the Pure Fluro of the day!
*Skis must arrive at the shop no later than NOON on Tuesday the 18th of February unless prior arrangements have been made
*Additional Drop off locations
– Madison Area & Stillwater
– Contact info for the drop off sites will be forwarded to you upon reservation
Cutoff time for Madison is Feb. 15th at 5pm and Stillwater on the 18th at 5pm
* Ski pick up can be done at the shop starting on Friday
*Additional pick up in Hayward Details TBA
We Thank You for the opportunity to provide Race Service for you and hope that our service and depth of waxing make this the BEST Race Service option for you and your equipment.
To sign up ahead of time or for more information please contact us at 800.252.9583 or email@example.com
Staying in Rice Lake for the Birkie?
The Rice Lake Tourism Board is offering rides to and from the 2013 American Birkebeiner FREE of charge if you are staying in a Rice Lake Hotel!
To sign up for this please contact: Nicky Repka Visitor Coordinator, Rice Lake Tourism Office Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 715-234-8888 Toll Free: 800-523-6318 Fax: 715-434-8888
Please email or fax the following information:
_ Your Name, Phone Number, Email Address, Event Name, Start Time, Hotel Where You Are Staying
Departure Times: Vans will be leaving Early on Saturday morning. If you wish to ride the return van, times and pick-up locations in Hayward will be posted closer to the event.
Now thru Dec.31st with every pair of FITS Socks purchased in-store or online get registered to WIN an Entry to the Now Closed for Registration American Birkiebeiner!
to purchase on-line: http://outthereshop.com/shop/socks/
Comp Entry Provided by FITS Socks